Pasting Up usually occurs in chicks that have loose or watery droppings.
- At risk:
- Chicks that have loose or watery droppings
- Hardened droppings accumulate around the vent area
- Eventually chick is unable to eliminate fecal matter
- May be coupled with chicks dying in the case of disease
- Probably nothing to worry about
- If it persists and/or impacts multiple chicks it may indicate a disease (consult vet)
- Pasting Up Treatment:
- Gently pick droppings away from chick’s vent
- Go slowly because you may pull out feathers in the process, which hurts the chick
For detailed information on other common ailments, see related posts below.