Coccidiosis can be avoided by providing a dry sanitary environment for chicks, feeding them medicated starter, and inoculation.
- At risk:
- Can effect mature chickens, but is much less likely as birds mature
- Loose, watery and/or bloody droppings
- Lack of energy
- Reduction in egg production
- Exposure to coccidia, which is found in chicken droppings
- Lack of immunity, which typically develops naturally as chicks mature
- Take dropping sample to vet for analysis
- Administer anticoccidial medication as advised by vet
- Coccidiosis Prevention:
- Provide a dry sanitary environment for chicks
- Avoid damp humid conditions for chickens of all ages
- Consider medicated chick starter
- Consider inoculating chicks
For detailed information on other common ailments, see related posts below.