Egg Binding can occur if two eggs are present in the oviduct at the same time.
- At risk:
- All hens that lay eggs
- Hen may appear to struggle while trying to lay an egg
- Egg may be visible at her vent but not coming out
- You may be able to feel an egg with your lubricated finger just inside the vent
- An egg exiting the oviduct before the previous egg has exited the vent
- Egg Binding Treatment:
- Seek advice from your vet
- Gently lubricate as much of the inside of the vent as possible with water based lubricant
- Gently irrigating the vent area with warm soap water
- Gently warming the hen’s bottom with a warm (not hot) towel
- Placing the hen is a warm bath that is deep enough to just cover the vent
- As a last resort, carefully collapsing the egg without injuring the hen (seek expert advice)
For detailed information on other common ailments, see related posts below.