Mareks Disease is a viral, highly contagious disease that can occur in poultry. There is no treatment for infected chickens and they, unfortunately, must be destroyed.
- At risk:
- Primarily affects chicks
- Mareks Disease Symptoms:
- External and/or internal tumors
- Iris (in eye) turns a grey color and stops reacting to light
- Inhalation of skin or feather dust from infected birds
- There is no treatment to save an infected chicken
- You must immediately destroy all infected birds
- Mareks Disease Prevention:
- There is a vaccine available – check with vet or state department of agriculture
- Avoid contact with other flocks
- Quarantine birds after shows before re-introducing into the larger flock
For detailed information on other common ailments, see related posts below.